Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Destination Wedding in The Bahamas FAQ:
• Both parties must be in The Bahamas at the time of the application.
• The Bahamas Law states that the couple must be a resident in The Bahamas for 48 hours prior (2 business days) to the date of the application.
HOWEVER, couples can file for their paperwork the next day after their arrival i.e. if you arrive on Wednesday you can apply for your license on Thursday.
PROVIDED you bring the copy of Bahamas Immigration form which you receive upon entering the Bahamas, this form will state the length of time you will be staying in the Bahamas.
• If either party is a minor (a person under 18 years of age), parental consent is required.
• If either party has been divorced, the original final decree or a certified copy (with a raised or colored seal) must be produced. For European residents, the original decree or a certified copy (with a raised or colored seal) must be produced in the native language along with a translated certified or notarized copy in English.
• If either party is widowed, the death certificate of the deceased spouse must be produced.
• If either party is unmarried, for a citizen or resident of the U.S.A., a declaration certifying this fact must be sworn before a U.S. Consul at the American Embassy for a fee, or a Bahamian Notary Public.
• If either party is unmarried and is a citizen or resident of a country other than the U.S.A., a declaration certifying this fact must be sworn before a Notary Public or other person authorized to administer oaths in that country and must accompany the application for the marriage license.
• The parties must produce some form of identification that has a photograph attached. The identification document must be issued by a Government Office in the country where the parties reside. A passport is required for persons who are residents of a Commonwealth country.
• The parties must produce evidence of the date of their arrival in The Islands of the Bahamas (i.e., airline ticket, immigration card).
• No blood test is necessary.
• For couples from European countries who may also require an apostille copy of the marriage certificate, this can be obtained after the ceremony, once the couple submits an application at the Registrar General's office in Nassau. The process takes seven to ten days.
• Weddings must be held before sunset.